Friday, February 27, 2009

“(Jesus) has been tempted in every way just as we are, yet without sin” (Hebrews 4:15). This verse can be extremely oppressive or exhilaratingly liberating, depending on how we look at it. Many people look at this verse and see it as an unattainable goal. After trying and trying, they realize they will never be able to live without yielding to temptation. As a result they give up and always yield. On the other hand, some people read that scripture and get excited knowing that they have a Savior and guide who can help them through their struggles because he has the ability to both illuminate the way to overcome sin AND the power to enable us to overcome sin. If Christ now lives in you, and you are submitting your life to him, then it stands to reason that HE IS ABLE to help you overcome the sin that so easily entangles you or the weakness you seem to have toward temptation. With confidence, ask God to allow Christ’s spirit to indwell you and give you the power over sin.

2 comments:

  1. After this past Sunday's morning service, I heard some complain that Satan had infiltrated our service, cheating us out of what was rightfully ours. They vowed that Satan would not win and could not take us away from our God and our worship.

    Others claimed just the opposite. They saw Jesus alive and at work in the service. I have to agree with this reasoning. It is true, at least, for me.

    You see, with all that has been going on in my 2009 so far, (returning home from Christmas to a water pipe burst, going into week 9 with my home still incomplete and our lives still interrupted, with my husband out of regular work and me working as much overtime as possible just in case) I have not been able to get my head out of my self pity. No matter how hard I try, I have not been able to be in the moment, whether in my own prayer time (which has suffered in consequence to my recent circumstances) or my time at church. I am at NFCN every Sunday and Wednesday, but in body only.

    I have prayed about it some, but I felt disconnected and thought the only way things would get better is when my life got back to normal...or what was normal...the way I liked things. I do not like change and complications.

    Then, when the incident in church happened, I was at first taken by surprise. I didn't know anything was going on until Pastor said something. Then, something amazing happened. I was pulled out of myself and I was pulled into the moment. I realized others are going through stuff also. I'm not here by myself.

    I was really proud of the way Pastor handled things. Even though the service did not go on as planned, he refocused his flock on what is really important. I was able to totally be there in the moment of prayer and communion.

    I have been in touch, truly in touch, with Christ since then. My prayers have improved and I am more self-aware.

    I believe Jesus used that as an example that we are still to turn our eyes to Him even amidst the distractions of life. I had certainly been distracted. He showed me something Sunday and I am eternally greatful for His creative example.

    (I do not know who was in trouble or what happened, but I hear he is okay. We were all certainly praying as one at that moment.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Renee for sharing what God has done in your life. It is easy for all of us to get caught up in what we would like to see that we can miss what God is doing all around us (I am talking about me). May God bless you today, and may he wake each of us up to what he wants to do through us today!

    ReplyDelete