Saturday, March 14, 2009

Saturday, March 14
Read Hebrews 5:11-14
In much the same way our diet determines much of our bodily health, our “spiritual diet” determines much of our spiritual health. Many Christians feel like they can get by on one meal a week of “spiritual food,” yet wonder why they are not growing spiritually. Take a moment today to write down what you think would be a “healthy spiritual diet.” Take time to visit the blog and post one or two things you think should be part of a healthy spiritual diet and see what others post as well. Now write down how you think your current spiritual diet compares. How do you plan to discipline yourself in your spiritual diet for growth in Christ and health in him? How will you start today?

2 comments:

  1. Sunday night, Pastor Henecke spoke with us about why we still doubt if we truly believe that Jesus answers prayers. He spoke of Bartemaeus, the blind man in Jericho. He told us to go home, pray for forgiveness for our unbelief and then to pray for what we want.

    I could not stop thinking about this sermon. Why is it, how is it that I can believe yet doubt at the same time? I believe Jesus really performed all those miracles in the Bible. I believe He is still performing miracles today, just as we were told about from the Jesus Film Project. Why then, do I doubt that He could really answer my prayers?

    As I took this question to Christ, He gave me the answer. I doubt because I do not feel worthy. For some reason, I differentiate myself from all others who have ever experienced an answer to prayer. I pray, but don't expect much because I don't think I deserve what I've asked for. But, why?

    Bartemaeus was a sinner just like me. Jesus did not heal him because he deserved to be healed. Jesus healed him because he asked. And, Jesus had compassion for him and loved him. As the realization that Jesus heals not because we deserve it, but rather, because He loves us, I began to cry.

    I can easily put my name in place of Bartemaeus'. Jesus healed Renee because He has compassion for her and loves her. How awesome is that? What's even more awe-inspiring is the realization that I can never do anything to lose that love. He loves me inspite of my flaws or seeming un-worthiness!

    What a blessing!(And, yes, I followed through with the second half of Pastor's request. I prayed and received yet another blessing.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great! I thank God for his work in your life and for your willingness to share what he is doing with others. Perhaps we all need to exchange our names for the ones in the stories found in the Bible. The promises are ours as well. God wants to do no less in us than he did in them.

    ReplyDelete